Happy Gut Stuffing
What you will need:
- 1 lb firm wheat bread (about one loaf)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sage (fresh or dried)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon thyme (fresh or dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 - 3 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons dried cranberries (optional)
- Large baking/cookie sheet
- Mixing bowl
- Large shallow casserole dish (4.8 quart)
- Large skillet ( 8-12 inches)
- Rubber spatula
1. Preheat oven to 400 f.
2. Lightly oil large casserole dish (set aside)
3. Cut bread into cubs:
- Place two to four pieces of bread onto one another.
- Cut into about five even strips from top to bottom. (1)
- Cut into three strips going from right to left. (2)
- Place all bread cubs onto baking sheet. (3)
- Bake for about ten minutes. (or until golden brown)
4. The veggies and herbs:
- Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in large skillet in between low and medium heat. Let heat for about a minute.
- Add only the garlic, mix. Let heat for about one minute.
- Add only the onion, mix. Let head for about one minute.
- Add celery mixing until soft, about five minutes.
- Place toasted bread into mixing bowl
- Pour veggie mixture over bread. (1)
- Lightly mix with a rubber spatula.
- Add parsley, sage, thyme, black pepper and cranberries if using. (2)
- Lightly mix again until all is even.
- Add two cups stock and stir until it is absorbed. Add more stock if needed. The mixture should moist and clumped together, but not soggy.
- Add one tablespoon of olive oil into mixture, lightly mix.
- Even out mixture into casserole dish and cover with foil. (3)
- Turn oven down to 350 f. Back for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil, bake for another 15 minutes.