Why do I call this masterpiece Market Lasagna? The answer, simple. All the fresh vegetables that are used, I was able to pick up from my local farmers market that afternoon. Not only is eating this classic dish rewarding in itself, but knowing you're putting only the best into your vegan gut, that is priceless.
What you will need:
Part one, Ricotta:
- 1 lb extra firm tofu
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ tablespoon arrowroot
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 bunch basil chopped, about 4 tablespoons. Leave 6 whole basil leaves on the side for garnish
Part two, Filler:
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- ½ bell paper, chopped
- 1 head of broccoli (about 1 ½ cups chopped)
- 1 ear of sweet corn, cobbed
- 1 bunch spinach, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium tomato sauce
- 6 whole wheat lasagna noodles (I recommend no boil)
- Shredded vegan cheese (optional) I recommend Daiya
- Mixing bowl
- 1 8-12 inch heavy bottom skillets with lid
- Hand Blender
- 3 table size spoons
- 8x8 square casserole dish
1. Press and crumble Tofu. (see Tofu Scramble blog)
2. Preheat oven to 375
3. The Ricotta:
After tofu has been pressed and crumbled, add:
- Olive oil, garlic, salt, arrowroot, and nutritional yeast.
- Using a hand blender, blend all together until you have a thick consistency. (1)
- Add 4 tablespoons of basil, mix in. (don't not use blender) Set aside.
4. The filler:
- In skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil on low to medium heat for a good minute.
- Add only the garlic, mix. Let heat for 1 minute.
- Add onion, mix. Let heat for 1 minute.
- Set heat to medium, add tomato, zucchini, bell paper, broccoli, and corn. Mix well. Let heat five to seven minutes, mixing every so often. (1)
5. Lasagna Art:
In a 8x8 square casserole dish:
- Place two lasagna noodles side by side.
- Using a table size spoon, pour two generous portions of tomato sauce onto noodles. Even out using back side of the spoon. (1)
- Using a table size spoon, pour a generous portion of the ricotta on top of tomato sauce. Using back side of spoon, even out. (2)
- Using a table size spoon, scoop 3 portions of cooked vegetables on top of ricotta. even out. (3)
- Use you hands, add a even layer of raw spinach on top of vegetables. (4)
- Using your sauce spoon, pour two generous portions of tomato sauce on top of spinach. (no need to even out)
- Repeat above steps once more.
- Place two noodles on top of final layer of raw spinach.
- Pour two generous portions of tomato sauce on top of noodles, even out.
- Pour a generous portion of the ricotta on top of tomato sauce, even out.
- Pour two generous portions of tomato sauce on top of ricotta, even out.
- Place the 6 whole basil leaves on top as garnish. (5)
- If added vegan cheese, add to taste, as top layer.
- Cover pan with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Uncover pan.
- Bank for another 20/25 minutes.