Butternut Squash Soup
This simple delicious soup will worm your soul during those chilly autumn nights.Warm up leftovers with a veggie wrap for a fast healthy lunch. No matter when you choose to enjoy this soup, it will always hit just the right spot in that vegan gut of yours.
The best part about this recipe, the main ingredients are all plant based, and if you live in the right part of town, they can be found at your local farmers marks during the late summer until the end of autumn.
What you will need:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced (or half of a large one)
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 4 cups cubed)
- 4 cups of low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 pinch of nutmeg (optional)
- 1 heavy sharp chef's knife
- 1 *heavy bottom soup pot (5 qt.)
- 1 sharp peeler
- Medium bowl
- 1 **hand blender
** If you don't have a blender, you may use a potato masher, but soup will be chunky.
1. Cutting the Butternut Squash:
- Using a heavy sharp chef's knife, cut (about) 1/4-inch from top and bottom of the squash. (1)
- Cut the squash in half. (2)
- Scoop out all the seeds and stringy pulp. (3)
- Peel the squash with a sharp peeler. (4)
- Cut the squash in half, long ways. (5)
- Cut each half to about 5 slices. (6)
- Cut down on slices to make cubes. (7)
- Place all squash cubes into medium bowl. Set aside.
2. Dice garlic, onion, bell pepper, carrot and thyme. Set aside.
3. Cooking the soup:
- Heat olive oil in large heavy bottom soup pot on medium heat for about one minute.
- Add only the garlic, mix, let heat for about one to two minutes.
- Add onion, mix, let heat for one to two minutes.
- Add bell pepper, and carrot. Mix.
- Cook until everything has begun to soften and onion turns semi transparent. (about 3 to 4 minutes)
- Add squash cubs, thyme, and black pepper. Mix. (1)
- Add 4 cups of vegetable broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until squash is fork-tender, about 30 minutes.
- Once soup is done, set aside and let cool for about 15 minutes, if not a little longer. (2)
- After broth and vegetables have cooled, *carefully and slowly puree until you have a smooth consistency.
Top with a pinch of red pepper flakes and nutmeg.