Sweet Corn Soup
Before the end of last summer, I went a little crazy at the farmers market. I couldn't live with the thought of not having sweet corn all winter. So, whats one to do? Buy as much as your small Brooklyn freezer could hold. Well, here we are, approaching farmers market season again, and still I have a freezer filled with corn. My corn idea didn't go as planned, so I needed to find a way to use all my corn, and fast. I came across a recipe from, Love Soup by Anna Thomas and I loved everything about it. My Vegan Gut feel's lucky to get a head start on the coming summer season. And this soup is as sweet as long lazy summer days.
What you will need:
- Ten ears sweet white or yellow corn (about five pounds)
- 3 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons nondairy unsalted butter or olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- sea salt
- 2 1/4 cups unsweetened *nondairy milk
- Ground or coarse white or red pepper, or if you like a little heat, use red pepper flakes
- finely chopped cilantro leaves as garnish (optional)
- 1 heavy bottom small skillet
- 1 large soup pot (5 qt)
- Corn peeler
- Blender or hand blender
Let's make sweet soup!
- Clean corn free of all leaves and silk.
- Peel corn kernels, set aside in bowl. (1)
- Give all the corn kernels a light and gentle mix until they're all detached. (2)
- Remove one cup of corn kernels and set aside separately. We will add this into pureed soup.
- Bring stock to a simmer on medium heat, add corn and garlic. Keep covered for 15 minutes. (3)
- Melt two tablespoons of butter on low to medium heat in a small skillet. (4)
- Add chopped onion with a pinch of salt. (5)
- Let cook for 20 - 25 minutes, mixing occasionally, until they are soft and caramelized. (6)
- Once onions are done, add them to soup with milk. Mix well. (7)
- Let soup cool for about 15 minutes. (8)
- Using a blender, puree soup for ten minutes until it's thick and smooth. (9)
- Once soup is pureed, add corn kernels that were set aside from earlier. mix in. (10)
- Reheat soup over medium heat for ten minutes.
- Top with a pinch of pepper and fresh cilantro.