Curried Gold Chickpea Kale
After returning to one of my favorite vegan restaurants, V-Spot, in Brooklyn, NY, I remembered how amazingly good their Curried Kale is. It was so fresh, light and packed with flavor. The next day at my mundane job, I got to thinking, what if My Vegan Gut tried to recreate the goodness from the night before? After taking notes, reading numerous blogs, and emailing other foodies, i came up with my own version of V-Spots curried kale. Why did I add, Gold in the title? Because after having my first taste, the only thing I would think, I hit gold.
What you will need:
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 3/4 tablespoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups fresh chickpeas, (or one 15oz can)
- 1 bunch fresh kale, *destemmed and rough chopped
- 4 qt soup pot with lid
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil on low, for about a minute using a 4 qt soup pot.
- Mix in onion (1), let simmer for about 4-5 minutes, or until semi-translucent.
- Mix in garlic, cumin, coriander, curry powder, turmeric and salt. Let simmer for 1 minute. (2)
- Mix in chickpeas. Let simmer for about 3 minutes, stirring once or twice. (3)
- *Add the kale, cover the pan stirring occasionally for about 5-8 minutes. (4)
- Once Kale has a bright green color and semi-soft feel, turn heat off, mix well and let sit covered for five minutes. Enjoy your Gold!
*At first glance, it will look as though the kale is taking over, not only your pot, but your kitchen too! No worries, after only a minute or two, the kale will start to cook down. As your stir during the next 5-8 minutes, you'll see everything come together.