Saturday, February 12, 2011

Curried Gold Chickpea Kale

Curried Gold Chickpea Kale


After returning to one of my favorite vegan restaurants, V-Spot, in Brooklyn, NY, I remembered how amazingly good their Curried Kale is. It was so fresh, light and packed with flavor. The next day at my mundane job, I got to thinking, what if My Vegan Gut tried to recreate the goodness from the night before? After taking notes, reading numerous blogs, and emailing other foodies, i came up with my own version of V-Spots curried kale. Why did I add, Gold in the title? Because after having my first taste, the only thing I would think, I hit gold. 

What you will need:
  • 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
  • 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
  • 4 garlic cloves, pressed
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander 
  • 1 tablespoon curry powder
  • 3/4 tablespoon turmeric
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups fresh chickpeas, (or one 15oz can)
  • 1 bunch fresh kale, *destemmed and rough chopped
*unfortunately, we don't need to use the kale stems with this recipe. I freeze mine for a soup or stir fry at a later time.

Main supples:
kale stems
  • 4 qt soup pot with lid
Let's make Gold:
  1.  Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil on low, for about a minute using a 4 qt soup pot.
  2. Mix in onion (1), let simmer for about 4-5 minutes, or until semi-translucent.
  3. Mix in garlic, cumin, coriander, curry powder, turmeric and salt. Let simmer for 1 minute. (2)
  4. Mix in chickpeas. Let simmer for about 3 minutes, stirring once or twice. (3)
  5. *Add the kale, cover the pan stirring occasionally for about 5-8 minutes. (4)
  6. Once Kale has a bright green color and semi-soft feel, turn heat off, mix well and let sit covered for five minutes. Enjoy your Gold!
(1)

(2)

(3)

(4)  

*At first glance, it will look as though the kale is taking over, not only your pot, but your kitchen too! No worries, after only a minute or two, the kale will start to cook down. As your stir during the next 5-8 minutes, you'll see everything come together.

3 comments:

  1. This looks awesome; I too am a fan of the V-Spot version.

    Thanks for the canned chickpea equivalent, btw; this girl needs all the help she can get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abby, thank you! I hope one day you come around and use dry beans. It makes all the difference.

    Kelly, welcome! I'm so excited to see what your blog brings to life. 143

    ReplyDelete