Saturday, February 5, 2011

Gut Guacamole

Gut Guacamole

Why is this guacamole different from all the others? Answer, it has the perfect balance of chunk and smooth, the perfect blend of wild and tamed, the perfect combination of flavor and its hearty enough to satisfy my vegan gut.

What you will need:
  • 2 ripe hass avocados
  • 2 large limes
  • 1 medium tomato, half chopped, half diced
  • 1 medium red onion, half chopped, half diced
  • 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
  • 1/4 cup diced *cilantro (optional)
*I get it, kids. For what ever reason, some very unfortunate people are completely turned off by the smell, taste and look of cilantro. Is this a
problem? Well, not for the ones who love it, like my vegan gut. But, if you hate it, don't use it. Although it really does add so much, it's not a make or break ingredient. Now, on the other hand, if you don't like avocado, Houston, we have a problem.

Cilantro
Main Supplies:
  • Mixing Bowl
  • 2 soup size bowls
  • Strong fork
  • Hand blender (optional)
Let's make some awesome guacamole!
  1. Cut both avocados in half longways. remove pit. (1)
  2. With a smaller spoon, scoop each avocado goodness into two separate bowls.
  3. Roll lime on hard surface for a few seconds to get the juices flowing. (2)
  4. Squeeze half lime on top of scooped avocado in each bowl. (3)
  5. Using a strong fork, mash one avocado until its thick and chunky.
  6. If using a hand blender, puree the other avocado until it's smooth with no lumps. If you're not using a hand blender, with a strong fork, mash until it's as smooth as possible. (4)
  7. Cut the tomato and onion in half one at a time. Chop one side, and dice the other. (5 & 5a)
  8. Place the chopped tomato and onion with the mashed avocado. 
  9. Place the diced tomato and onion with the smooth pureed avocado.
  10. Dice the cilantro, if using, as finely as you can with a knife or food processor. Set aside. 
  11. Move everything into one large mixing bowl. Add the cilantro, if using, salt, and squeeze one more lime into the mixture. Mix gently for about a minute. (6)
  12. Let sit, covered at room temperature for an hour. This will settle all the flavors. Enjoy with baby carrots, sliced cucumbers or add to any sandwich or wrap. Keep refrigerated, and mix if any brown discoloration should appear.
(1)

(2)
(3)

(4)
(see the difference)

(5)

(5a)
(6)

4 comments:

  1. You have outdone yourself with this post, your photos, and the recipe; I am blown away. Total gorgeous presentation on every front.

    P.S. I am not unfortunate because I don't like cilantro, I am unfortunate b/c I didn't know the difference between chopped and diced until I consulted your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Abby. I must admit, all the photo magic you see is in the camera. I'm so glad my photos were able to help you learn the difference between chopped and diced. There's a big world out there, once you leave your kitchen.

    P.S. If ever you came over for dinner, no need to call ahead. I'll be sure to leave out the cilantro, just for your vegan gut.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi everyone, I am Adorjan Adelmo from Yasinya village Ukraine and I just want to say a very resounding thanks  to Pedro Financial loan services for their sincerity, Openness, Transparency, Truthfulness, Love and support during and after getting loan funds from them. I have been through a lot in the hands of in life and time won’t permit me to say all that I went through in the year of pandemic but God answered my prayers through the support and love from pedro Financial loan services who embraced me and understood me despite my initial doubt and unseriousness and with his good heart and love I am now a home owner through his 3% interest rate loan funds and I have vow to spread this news and also tell the world that there are still genuine and few good online loan firms out there that can assist and also revive a dry bone like I was.
    Don’t fail to listen and read this testimony because this is a true life changing experience and anyone that needs this kind of turn around should not hesitate or doubt this because I have proven and I swear to God in Heaven that this story is real and also the story of my experience with them .
    Contact them today for Consolidated loan, business loan, home loan, car loan, personal loan.

    Email:    pedroloanss@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete